Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Why singles hate Valentine's Day

I remember that aching feeling in the heart I had around Valentine's Day during the 8+ years I was single after my divorce. It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that the whole world is made of couples and you're the only one who's alone during this holiday celebrating love. Here are 3 ways to change those thoughts so you'll be happier and more at peace this February:

1) Learn the facts about singles: Statistics show that America is almost evenly split between singles and couples. The 96 million Americans who are unmarried represent 43% of the adult population--nearly half! In fact, since 2005, the majority of U.S. households have NOT been headed by married couples. So you're far from alone. There are tens of millions of others just like you...people who aren't yet part of a couple. Match.com alone has 20 million of them, and Yahoo has another 10 million.

2) Understand the truth about couples: Did you also know that only about 25% of married people describe themselves as happy? I remember seeing couples and assuming they were all experiencing the bliss that I wasn't. But that's just not the case.

3) Realize love is all around you: Just because you don't currently have a significant other doesn't mean Valentine's Day isn't for you. Think about all those who love you unconditionally...your parents, your kids, your pets, your best friends. There have to be at least 5 people in your life to send a Valentine to or to share a candelight dinner with. Go ahead and plan it NOW!

My warmest, fuzziest, most romantic Valentine's Day EVER was the one before I met my 2nd husband, when my best girlfriend and I shared a special meal, some top-quality wine, love poems to each other, a cozy fire, and an evening of from-the-heart conversation. How will YOU create a self-loving Valentine's Day gift to yourself? Drop me a note to tell me what you did. I'd love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment