Tuesday, October 10, 2017

NERVOUS ABOUT ONLINE DATING?

Since most of my clients are single, divorced, or widowed women between age 55 and 75, many are not computer savvy. As a result, they're often nervous about the idea and logistics of putting a profile on an online dating site (about 50% need help with the technology itself-- i.e., how to move a digital photo from an email or a computer onto the dating site). Or they're nervous about privacy and security issues related to using the Internet.

It's my job to help them overcome the nervousness so they can successfully date online.

First of all, I completely understand single women's concerns and hesitancy about privacy/security, and I remember when I too was intimidated by the technical end of things. So I'm happy to guide them through the process in a way that puts their minds at ease and helps them feel more comfortable using the technology. Because I was an online dater for 4 years myself, I've learned a lot about how to help women use this excellent tool--and hopefully meet some nice men for dating.  

About privacy: Yes, Internet dating involves putting a photo of yourself "out there" online. Some women clients are nervous that bosses, coworkers, friends, neighbors, or family members will see the photo and judge them for being an online dater. I tell them there's a small chance of that happening, but it's pretty unlikely unless those same people are also using online dating sites. Plus, I ask them: "What's the problem if someone does see your photo online? It's your personal life and not anyone else's business to judge you."

About security: Yes, there are scammers on just about every online dating site (and lots of other non-dating websites for that matter). Online daters have to accept that as a given. So I offer them tips for detecting the "bad actors" and for protecting themselves from being scammed. I steer them to expert advice about keeping their information secure and avoiding problems.

About technology intimidation: Yes, it may take a while to get up to speed with the workings of the computer, downloading attachments from emails, and uploading photos to dating sites. But, once I coach clients through the steps, they usually pick things up pretty fast. And, if they don't want to learn, they can hire me to post their profile text and photos for them. 

Everyone is nervous when they try something new for the first time. That's why I encourage women to reach out to me for mentoring and guidance. I love to help single women seeking a partner learn the facts about what's involved and to be the moral supporter they need whenever they feel confused or unsure about next steps. If that's you, please don't hesitate to get in touch...I'm here for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment