Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Places Singles Over 50 Can Meet New People

My Baby Boomer clients are always asking me for ideas of new ways to meet dating-minded singles. And I often steer them to a great book that tells the "how we met" stories of 29 couples who began dating and fell in love later in life--"Autumn Romance: Stories and Portraits of Love After 50" by Carol Denker.

This wonderful book is a heartwarming look at the myriad ways older singles meet and connect, and I highly recommend it if you've gotten discouraged about the chances of finding love again. It will truly inspire you and give you hope! (You can order it here: https://www.amazon.com/Autumn-Romance-Stories-Portraits-after/dp/0615314414.)

Here are just a few of the ways the happy couples in the book crossed paths:
- at a metaphysical lecture
- in a choir
- on a plane
- in an Italian class
- at the YMCA pool
- at a senior center activity
- at a speed dating meet and greet evening
- in a line dancing class
- at a support group
- at a wine tasting 
- at a singles walking group

In general, these folks were just out and about pursuing their hobbies and trying new activities. And they connected with someone else who enjoyed the same thing. It's a no brainer for 2 reasons:
1) When you're enjoying yourself and having fun, you're upbeat and happy and thus more of a natural attractor.
2) Your chances of meeting like-minded people increase when you go out to activities and events that reflect your passions.

Have you done that lately? If not, why? The reasons I hear from my clients are:
- I have nobody to go with and don't want to go alone to an event.
- I'm shy about talking to people I've never met before.
- I'm so busy with work and other commitments that I don't have time for fun outings.

Of course, these are more "excuses" than they are reasons:
- Going alone to an event is easy if you're going to something like a lecture, class, support group, wine tasting, or choir practice because you can chat about the activity you're participating in.  
- Shyness isn't an issue when it's an activity where there's a teacher, moderator, or leader who asks everyone to introduce themselves.
- Saying you're too busy for outings means you're not prioritizing fun/socializing, which is the only way to meet other people who share your interests.

So...are you ready to try some new ways of meeting people? For starters, check local newspapers or websites that list upcoming events and activities like the ones I listed above. Also: BE SURE to check www.meetup.com. And then call me for some ideas custom-tailored for you, your hobbies, and your region. I'm happy to assist!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment